Sometimes you don’t need a whole new website. Sometimes you just need a lift from an expert. You may be a solopreneur. You may be a corporation with an in-house team or a smaller firm using your IT guru.
One thing you have in common is that you don’t have the expertise or maybe you don’t have the bandwidth to complete that online software project you’ve been talking about.
That’s where Karen Callahan can help you.
Karen writes custom PHP programs and WordPress plugins and blocks, and, customizes PHP-based open source software products like WordPress. She has interfaced WooCommerce and custom-developed order forms with payment gateways like AuthorizeNet, PayTrace, Plug’n Play, and Mijireh Checkout (now CloudSwipe). (Some of the cool stuff she has programmed is listed below.)
Cost estimates for special projects are provided upon request. Estimates are free.
Need a special module that is unique to your business? Have a project and are calling upon programming contractors to complete discrete portions? Got questions? Call Karen now at 508-480-8833!
Typical Software Tools
Karen Callahan as Your Contract Developer
Although building her own WordPress-centric business keeps her busy, Karen Callahan blocks time for contract work for agencies and private companies.
She contracts out as a WordPress developer and a PHP developer.
This might seem odd, however, Karen believes it keeps her on her toes! As a sole-proprietor, there is no one else giving input to these aspects of work (WordPress and PHP).
Doing contract work allows her to have a view into how U.S. businesses of all sizes are approaching challenges and creating solutions to their WordPress and custom PHP systems.
Contract work helps Karen maintain and stretch her WordPress and PHP skills. Oftentimes, it provides the opportunity to flex her advanced skills muscles. Plus, seeing what other businesses are doing confirms that Karen is aligned with industry trends in her own business dealings, and informs new ways to approach complex tasks for her direct clients.
Sampling of Special Projects
Custom Block for an Investment Advising firm in Newton MA
Client Request: Have a WordPress Block that would allow them to have great flexibility over the display of regular blog posts and custom post types.
- Choose one or more post types to display. Client had 8 post types including, display all blog posts. Post types included All types, regular blog posts, events, in the news, news & press releases (post type from previous website, eventually retired), podcasts, press releases, webinars
- Choose whether to display on full page, section of a page, or home page section. Posts-per-page were different for each display type. The client wanted the posts-per-page numbers hardcoded in order to force conformity so that the website would remain intact and presentable over time.
- Choose to display post meta; date and author
- Choose whether to display featured image or not
Client selects block from the standard WordPress blocks area.
Client selects custom display options using customization sections (mini menus) on the right.
The primary program retrieved the data from wp_posts and wp_postmeta, sorted it, and output it in a section or filling an entire page depending on the choices above, IF the data was one of the newer custom post types or blog posts.
The secondary PHP program was required in order to display the “old” news & press releases post type in sections or on an entire page. The massaging and display of that data was different. The code was kept separate since the post type was to be retired within a year.
Keeping the PHP code separated meant less re-coding of the primary PHP program when the post type was retired. All that had to be done was to comment out two “case” statements and the “require” statement that included the secondary PHP program.
Other custom PHP programming projects…
- National Custom Job Board for Northborough, MA Design and Build Recruiting firm: Programs that prompted for standard info from job candidates, and included filters like full-time, part-time, or contract work; selection of the U.S. region(s) and states() in which they wanted to work, and the prioritization of job titles they were seeking. Info would be emailed to all the recruiters who specialized in the selected geography:job title combinations. Recruiters had a back-end admin area to monitor progress with candidate contacts and progress.
- Mortgage Pre-Qualification Program for Braintree, MA headquartered mortgage firm: Primarily for lenders to pre-qualify home buyers. Captured standard pre-qualification info and searched through multiple tables for the mortgage programs that were available to each applicant, and printed a “Certificate of Qualification” for a certain dollar amount. If client was not eligible for amount requested, the program would suggest the amount for which the applicant might be eligible.